What is Animal Chiropractic?
Animal chiropractic is a form of health care performed by a veterinarian or a certified animal chiropractor that is drugless and non-invasive. Most people associate chiropractic care only with back problems in humans, but this is a misconception. Chiropractic deals with the nervous system that is housed within the spinal column. As these spinal bones become misaligned, they affect the nerves, impacting our optimal functioning. The misalignments are termed “subluxations” or “joint restrictions”. A Chiropractic adjustment is aimed at correcting the restriction and restoring the proper function of the nervous system. Any animal with a spine is a candidate for chiropractic care.
What are some of the conditions treated by animal chiropractors?
· Lameness in the limbs
· Neck and back pain
· Hip dysplasia
When will my pet be healed?
1. Chiropractic care takes time. Younger animals may respond quicker, while older animals may take time due to the amount of time it took to get injured. Natural healing is a process.
2. The speed of recovery depends on the length of time that the problem has been present, age, physical condition, amount of damage and cooperation of the owner.
What is the process for animal chiropractic?
1. Please obtain approval or a referral from your veterinarian.
2. A history is taken from the owner about the animal.
3. A physical examination, including gait and a neurological examination.
4. A plan of management will be given to establish a course of adjustments for the animal, exercises and modifications. Generally, 1-2 times per week for 4-6 weeks depending on severity. Maintenance visits are recommended after the 4-6 weeks to maintain alignment.
What can I expect after an adjustment?
Most pets will feel better within 24 hours of an adjustment. After an adjustment some will sleep for a few hours, meanwhile some might have increased energy and increased mobility. Monitor the pet’s behaviour as they will be sure to show you, they feel better.